The Electromagnetic Compatibility Department carries out studies and practical research in the field of electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) of systems and devices, as well as of spectrum engineering, spectrum management and radio networks planning and optimization.
In particular, the activities of the Department are focused on:
- radio network optimization (techno-economic) for various radio systems: broadcasting, fixed and mobile radio communication, point-to-point, point-to-multipoint and point-to area systems (DVB-T, DVB-T2, DAB+, DRM, DVB-H, UKF FM, eMBMS, TETRA, PMR, DMR, cellular GSM-R, 3G, WiMAx, CDMA, LTE and others);
- radio wave propagation measurements and analysis, prediction of terrestrial radio stations (transmitters, base stations, etc.) and network coverage in real interference conditions, wireless networks coverage optimization;
- development and standardization of new digital radio technology: 5G, Cognitive Radio, White Space Radio Systems, etc.;
- electromagnetic compatibility analysis and measurements for radio systems in co-channel and adjacent bands scenarios;
- analysis of the availability of radio spectrum resources to radio applications, searching for radio frequency resources for new radio services;
- support in regulatory issues for spectrum management and engineering activities (national and international), such as preparing proposals for strategy documents for new radio systems introductions for governmental institutions (e.g. Ministry of Digital Affairs, Office of Electronic Communications, National Broadcasting Council);
- representing the government of Poland at international telecommunications activities when needed (e.g. WRC of the ITU, CEPT), international cooperation and standardization work within CEPT, ITU, ECC, ERO, ETSI, IEEE and electromagnetic compatibility standarization within the framework of IEC, CISPR and Polish Committee for Standarization;
- solving electromagnetic compatibility of electrical and electronic equipment problems, including medical, military and industrial equipment, as well as the equipment used in mining;
- development of new electromagnetic compatibility measurement techniques;
- electromagnetic environment research, especially of special industrial environments;
- electromagnetic fields and their influence on people's safety and environment protection issues;
- electromagnetic fields estimations from transmitting stations for environmental protection assessments.
Competences and offers
The Department's offer includes:
- propagation analysis, radio coverage prediction, radio network optimization (CAPEx and coverage) analysis for various radio systems (DVB-T, DVB-T2, DAB+, DRM, DVB-H, UKF FM, TETRA, DMR, PMR, cellular, WiMAx, CDMA, LTE, various mobile systems, point-to-point, point-to-multipoint point-to-area and others) and frequency bands, and other services;
- assistance and support in preparation of applications to the Office of Electronic Communications and the National Broadcasting Council for radio licenses and permissions according to their procedures;
- support on international level in international organizations and standardization bodies (ITU, CEPT, ECC, ETSI, IEEE);
- radio spectrum availability analysis, finding new available frequencies for planned new radio, television and other services;
- propagation analyses with the application of precise digital maps;
- analysis of compatibility and interferences conditions between various radio systems;
- offer for educational institutions: web software tool for teaching and learning of radio propagation and network planning;
- electromagnetic environment investigation and research, including special electromagnetic environment research focused on underground mines;
- electromagnetic compatibility testing, including EMC tests of large equipment on production site (in-situ tests) (Polish Centre for Accreditation certificate AB 666);
- electromagnetic field EMF measurement and estimation of their impact on people related to human safety and working environment protection;
- EMC testing equipment calibration (Polish Centre for Accreditation certificate AP 016).
Organization of the department
The EMC Department consists of two sections:
- Spectrum Engineering and Management Section;
- Fields and Disturbance Measurements Section.
The Department runs two test laboratories accredited by Polish Centre for Accreditation (PCA):
- Laboratory of EMC Measuring Apparatus, certificate No. AP 016,
- EMC Testing Laboratory, certificate No. AB 666.
|Postal address:||Instytut Łączności - Electromagnetic Compatibility Department
51-501 Wrocław, Poland
|Tel.:||(+48) 71 36 99 803, 71 372 88 68|
|Fax:||(+48) 71 372 88 78|